History of the Duisitzkarseehütte
Origins in the mining area
The Duisitzkarhütte, like many other nearby surroundings, had already been used as accommodation for miners during the golden age of mining in the Schladminger Tauern (approx. 1300-1500). Shares of the Duisitzkaralm had been in the possession of the Stocker family, Abelhof in Rohrmoos / Schladming. Among these shares was the Duisitzkarseehütte. Its farming history dates back to the year 1949.
Managers of the Duisitzkarseehütte
- 1949: Maria Gerhardter-Royer (“Starchl Maridl”), a dairy farmer, starts the farming service
- 1958 to 1964: Franz and Hilda Schütter (Haus Wieseneck, Rohrmoos)
- 1965: Hermann Simonlehner (Schladming)
- 1966: not managed
- 1967 to 1973: Hermann and Cilli Zechmann (Untertal)
- 1974 to 1975: Franz Reiter (more commonly Gassner, Ramsau)
- 1976 to 2012: Fritz to Hermi Lettner-Reiter (Haus Heimat, Obertal)
- 2013 bis 2016: Claudia Wieser
- since 2017: Susanna Wieser (Seiterhof, Obertal)
Until 1963, all goods necessary for managing the cabin had to be carried from the Eschachalm to the Duisitzkarseehütte by “Buckelkraxe” (back carrier). This strenuous chore finally came to an end in 1963 with the construction of a ropeway for material transport. This ropeway had a whistle stop at the “Saghütten”. Fresh cow’s milk was transported to the valley every day from the “Saghüttenalm” (managed by the Hutegger family, more commonly Alpsteger, Rohrmoos). Construction of a forest road connecting the Eschachalm and the Duisitzkar began in 1997. The first half was completed in the same year, the complete road in 1998. Ultimately, the ropeway was deconstructed.
From “Toysetz Albm” to “Duisitzkar”
The true meaning of the name “Duisitzkar” sadly remains in the dark, yet it is open to several etymological possibilities of interpretation. Its history is well-documented. The “Toysetz Albm” was mentioned in 1760’s “Waldtomus”, a survey of all forest grounds during the era of Empress Maria Theresa. In 1824, the Franciscan land register dubbed the area “Toisitzkohr”, a name that stuck until 1960 when the term “Duisitzkar” was adopted. This change in diction is presumed to be closely related to the distribution of the first hiking maps.
Visit us at our alpine cabin and feel enchanted by this incredibly historical place. You can always contact us if you’d like to learn more.